Main menu (press 'Enter')
Access to page content (press 'Enter')
Direct access to list of other websites (press 'Enter')



The European Parliament employs some 8000 officials and other staff in total. They come from all 28 EU Member States and are posted to Parliament’s three places of work (Luxembourg, Strasbourg, Brussels) and to the Information Offices in the Member States.


The EU civil service consists of officials divided into three function groups: administrators (AD), assistants (AST) and secretaries and clerks (AST/SC).

The provisions governing the EU civil service are set out in the Staff Regulations of Officials and the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union.

How do I become an official?

Officials are selected by means of open competitions organised by the European Personnel Selection Office (EPSO). EPSO selects staff for Parliament and for all the other EU institutions. Notices of competition are published in the Official Journal and on the EPSO website.

Temporary staff

Temporary staff can be recruited to:

  • fill a post which the budgetary authorities have classified as temporary;
  • fill a permanent (official’s) post temporarily;
  • assist a person holding an office provided for in the Treaty (Presidents, Vice-Presidents, Quaestors) or one of the political groups in the European Parliament.

How do I become a temporary staff member?

For some of the posts referred to above, recruitment notices are published on the EPSO website, the Parliament website and the websites of the political groups.

Contract staff

Contract staff are recruited to

  • carry out manual or administrative support tasks;
  • replace officials and temporary staff members who are temporarily unable to perform their duties.
Accredited parliamentary assistants

Members of the European Parliament choose and recruit their accredited parliamentary assistants on the basis of a relationship of mutual trust; political affinity may also be a factor.

Seconded national experts

National experts are seconded to the European Parliament by national, regional or local public authorities or equivalent bodies in an EU Member State, an EFTA member state which is part of the European Economic Area, applicant countries or third countries.

Such experts remain at the disposal of their employers during their secondment and continue to be paid by those employers. They do receive a daily subsistence allowance, however.

Persons wishing to apply for a secondment should send a letter setting out their reasons and a CV to their Member State’s Permanent Representation to the European Union.

Agency staff

Agency staff can be recruited to meet short-term staffing needs in Brussels and Luxembourg.

They are recruited from employment agencies under the terms of interinstitutional framework contracts.

Protection of personal data

Your personal data will be processed as outlined in the fact sheets below.