Alain Cadec elected Chair of the Committee on Fisheries
Alain Cadec (EPP) is the new Chair of the Committee on Fisheries, elected by acclamation 07.07.14. During its constituent meeting, the Committee has also elected its vice-chairs Isabella Lövin (Greens/EFA), Jarosław Leszek Wałęsa (EPP), Werner Kuhn (EPP) and Renata Briano (S&D). Together, the Chair and vice-chairs make up the Bureau of the Committee, elected for a two-and-a-half year term. Next PECH committee meeting will take place on 22 July at 15:00.
After the election of a President, Vice-Presidents and Quaestors of the European Parliament in Strasbourg last week, parliamentary committees convened on Monday in Brussels to elect chairpersons and their deputies for next two and a half years.
Committee responsible for:
1. the operation and development of the common fisheries policy and its management;
2. the conservation of fishery resources, the management of fisheries and fleets exploiting such resources and marine and applied fisheries research;
3. the common organisation of the market in fishery and aquaculture products and the processing and marketing thereof;
4. structural policy in the fisheries and aquaculture sectors, including the financial instruments and funds for fisheries guidance to support these sectors;
5. the integrated maritime policy as regards fishing activities;
6. sustainable fisheries partnership agreements, regional fisheries organisations and the implementation of international obligations in the field of fisheries.