Exchange of views with Commissioner-designate Jacek Dominik
Following the election to the European Parliament of former Commissioner Janusz Lewandowski, the Committee on Budgets, with the participation of the Committee on Budgetary Control, held an exchange of views with Jacek Dominik on 14.07.14 in Strasbourg. Mr Jacek Dominik has been designated for the portfolio of Financial Programming and Budget. His mandate is expected to last until the end of October, when a new Commission is to be set up. Following the exchange of views, the European Parliament will vote on Mr Dominik's appointment as Commissioner during its plenary sitting of 16.07.14.
Ingeborg Grässle elected Chair of the Committee on Budgetary Control
Ingeborg Grässle (EPP) is the new Chair of the Committee on Budgetary Control, elected by acclamation on 07.07.2014. During its constituent meeting, the Committee also elected its Vice-Chairs: Derek Vaughan (S&D), Igor Šoltes (Greens), Martina Dlabajova (ALDE) and Dan Nica (S&D).
Together, the Chair and the Vice-Chairs make up the bureau of the Committee, elected for a two-and-a-half year term. The first meeting of the Committee on Budgetary Control will take place on 22 July.
After the election of a President, Vice-Presidents and Quaestors of the European Parliament in Strasbourg last week, parliamentary committees convened on Monday in Brussels to elect chairpersons and their deputies for next two and a half years.
Committee responsible for:
1. the control of the implementation of the budget of the Union and of the European Development Fund, and the decisions on discharge to be taken by Parliament, including the internal discharge procedure and all other measures accompanying or implementing such decisions;
2. the closure, presenting and auditing of the accounts and balance sheets of the Union, its institutions and any bodies financed by it, including the establishment of appropriations to be carried over and the settling of balances;
3. the control of the financial activities of the European Investment Bank;
4. monitoring of the cost-effectiveness of the various forms of Union financing in the implementation of the Union’s policies, involving, upon the Committee on Budgetary Control’s request, the specialised committees and acting, upon the Committee on Budgetary Control’s request, in cooperation with the specialised committees for the examination of special reports of the Court of Auditors;
5. relations with the European Anti-Fraud Office (OLAF), consideration of fraud and irregularities in the implementation of the budget of the Union, measures aimed at preventing and prosecuting such cases, the strict protection of the Union’s financial interests and the relevant actions by the European Public Prosecutor in this field;
6. relations with the Court of Auditors, the appointment of its members and consideration of its reports;
7. the Financial Regulation as far as the implementation, management and control of the budget are concerned.