The role of the group is:
- to establish contact with the political representatives of the northern part of the island, elected representatives and representatives of civil society in the broadest sense of the term, including the business world, academia, the mass media and representatives of the religious communities;
- to gather information on the region's political and socio-economic situation;
- to ensure at its various meetings that information about the European Union and its objectives and values is passed on;
- to monitor the implementation of the financial and commercial measures decided by the Union with regard to the aid intended to encourage the region's economic development, and to try to assess its short and medium-term impact;
- to update the Conference of Presidents and, where appropriate, the parliamentary committees on how the situation develops and to present annual written public reports.