Go back to the Europarl portal

Choisissez la langue de votre document :

  • bg - български
  • es - español
  • cs - čeština
  • da - dansk
  • de - Deutsch
  • et - eesti keel
  • el - ελληνικά
  • en - English (Selected)
  • fr - français
  • ga - Gaeilge
  • hr - hrvatski
  • it - italiano
  • lv - latviešu valoda
  • lt - lietuvių kalba
  • hu - magyar
  • mt - Malti
  • nl - Nederlands
  • pl - polski
  • pt - português
  • ro - română
  • sk - slovenčina
  • sl - slovenščina
  • fi - suomi
  • sv - svenska
Parliamentary questions
PDF 6kWORD 27k
16 December 2014
Answer given by Vice-President Georgieva on behalf of the Commission
Question reference: E-008329/2014

The Commission does not share the view expressed by the Honourable Member and would point out that the anti-fraud cooperation agreements, signed between the Commission, the Member States and four tobacco manufacturers do not impact on European public health policies and governance, their aim is to combat illicit trade.

1. The Commission would like to inform the Honourable Member that the EU budget receives 9.7% of the annual payments made by the four tobacco manufacturers under the anti-fraud cooperation. The remaining 90.3% goes to the Member States. The money collected by the Commission and the Member States as a result of the agreements is not earmarked for any particular ensuing actions. Therefore, there is no link between the incoming funds and specific expenditure. This is in line with the principle of the universality of the budget which applies to the EU budget and the budgets of numerous Member States.2. As concerns the compatibility of the anti-fraud cooperation agreements with the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control and the possible prolongation of the agreement with Philip Morris International, the Commission would refer the Honourable Member to the reply given to E-008123/2014(1).


Legal notice