Go back to the Europarl portal

Choisissez la langue de votre document :

  • bg - български
  • es - español
  • cs - čeština
  • da - dansk
  • de - Deutsch
  • et - eesti keel
  • el - ελληνικά
  • en - English (Selected)
  • fr - français
  • ga - Gaeilge
  • hr - hrvatski
  • it - italiano
  • lv - latviešu valoda
  • lt - lietuvių kalba
  • hu - magyar
  • mt - Malti
  • nl - Nederlands
  • pl - polski
  • pt - português
  • ro - română
  • sk - slovenčina
  • sl - slovenščina
  • fi - suomi
  • sv - svenska
Parliamentary questions
PDF 4kWORD 17k
15 September 2017
Answer given by Ms Jourová on behalf of the Commission
Question reference: E-004065/2017

The details of conditions for EU citizens to have a right of residence in another Member State are set out in the Free Movement Directive 2004/38/EC. Residence up to three months requires holding a valid passport or ID card, and longer residence essentially requires that the EU citizen is economically active, or, if not, can show sufficient resources not to be a burden on public funds and comprehensive sickness insurance.

EC law on free movement precludes a Member State from making the right of residence of an EU citizen in another Member State subject to a condition of having a permanent or temporary address.

EU citizens who meet the conditions set out in Directive 2004/38/EC have a right of residence, irrespective of whether they are homeless or not.

Legal notice