Go back to the Europarl portal

Choisissez la langue de votre document :

  • bg - български
  • es - español
  • cs - čeština
  • da - dansk
  • de - Deutsch
  • et - eesti keel
  • el - ελληνικά
  • en - English (Selected)
  • fr - français
  • ga - Gaeilge
  • hr - hrvatski
  • it - italiano
  • lv - latviešu valoda
  • lt - lietuvių kalba
  • hu - magyar
  • mt - Malti
  • nl - Nederlands
  • pl - polski
  • pt - português
  • ro - română
  • sk - slovenčina
  • sl - slovenščina
  • fi - suomi
  • sv - svenska
Parliamentary questions
PDF 22kWORD 19k
11 June 2019
Answer given by Mr Andriukaitis on behalf of the European Commission
Question reference: E-001636/2019

The Commission is currently undertaking an evaluation of the functioning of the EU legislation on food contact materials(1). Once the evaluation has been completed and on the basis of its findings, the Commission will consider what possible steps, if any, need to be taken in the future concerning the regulation of food contact materials in the EU, including recycled paper for the production of food packaging.

Monitoring and control of substances migrating from food contact materials is the responsibility of the Member States. Data can be submitted to the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA), for instance when calls for data are published by EFSA in order to support its risk assessment work (such as the call for continuous collection of chemical contaminants occurrence data in food and feed(2)). Such a call has not been launched at EU level as regards the presence of bisphenol A in paper and cardboard food packaging.


Last updated: 13 June 2019Legal notice