- Members may form themselves into groups according to their political
Parliament need not normally evaluate the political affinity of members of a
group. In forming a group together under this Rule, Members concerned accept by
definition that they have political affinity. Only when this is denied by the
Members concerned is it necessary for Parliament to evaluate whether the group
has been constituted in conformity with the Rules.
- A political group shall comprise Members elected in at least one-fifth of
the Member States. The minimum number of Members required to form a political
group shall be nineteen.
- A Member may not belong to more than one political group.
- The President shall be notified in a statement when a political group is
set up. This statement shall specify the name of the group, its members and its
- The statement shall be published in the Official Journal of the European