The Historical Archives is the official record keeper of the European Parliament. It manages and preserves the Parliament's official public documents and other archival fonds, dating back to 1952. It also assists researchers on the history of the Parliament and European integration, publishes studies and articles on these subjects, and works closely with the EU Historical Archives at the European University Institute and the House of European History.

European Heritage Days in Luxembourg

Schuman Building, Luxembourg, September 2018 © European Union 2018 - Source EP

During the 2018 European Heritage Days in Luxembourg, two guided tours were organised in the Schuman Building in a cooperation between the Luxembourg Centre for Contemporary Architecture (LUCA) and the Historical Archives Unit. This year, in the specific context of the European cultural heritage year, the Luxembourg National Sites and Monuments Service had decided to showcase the people connected with 'European buildings' throughout the country. Since 1973, the Schuman Building has been home to a number of departments of the European Parliament's secretariat. A living testimony to a period of strong growth and major changes for the European Parliament, the Schuman Building faces an uncertain future as it might be soon demolished as part of a major redevelopment project on the Kirchberg Plateau area. Visits took place on 25 and 26 September. Visitors - mostly architects and art historians - were provided with explanations relating to the history of the Schuman Building and the various stages of the collaboration between the Secretariat of the European Parliament and the Luxembourg government, thanks to the archival material (architectural plans, correspondence, photos, ...) stored in the rich collections of the Historical Archives, the official record keeper of the European Parliament.

The Jean Monnet house

© European Union, 2018

In December 1982, the European Parliament purchased from its own budget the house belonging to Jean Monnet in Houjarray (a hamlet situated 45 km south-west of Paris near Monfort-l'Amaury), where he lived and worked for over thirty years.  Jean Monnet, who was recognised as a 'Founding Father of Europe', awarded the European Parliament gold medal in 1975 and declared an 'Honorary Citizen of Europe' in 1976, had acquired this old farm building in 1945 on his return from the US. It was there that he conceived the idea behind the Schuman Plan, giving rise to the European Coal and Steel Community in 1952. It was also there that he wrote his memoirs and received many European leaders and foreign heads of state. As early as in April 1979, a few days after his death, a number of his former colleagues suggested to Emilio Colombo, President of the European Parliament, that it would be a good idea to purchase the property, symbolising as it did the shared historic and cultural heritage of European citizens. However, it was not possible to conclude the sale until the death of his widow. The EP Committee on Youth, Culture, Education, Information and Sport immediately began to draw up proposals for possible uses of the Jean Monnet House, one suggestion being to renovate the property with its large garden and make it into a meeting place and information centre devoted to European integration. The advice of a number of media agencies was also sought as to how exactly this country house could be used. This was, however, a complicated task, given that all its furniture had been removed and the archives transferred to the Jean Monnet Foundation for Europe in Lausanne. At the same time, Jean Monnet's former colleagues in Paris were setting up the Friends of Jean Monnet Association for the purpose of keeping alive his memory, his work and his teachings. The Ile de France Regional Council agreed to subsidise the restoration of his office and library. The Jean Monnet House, which became a museum devoted to the life of its former owner and the work of the European Community, was accordingly inaugurated on 12 June 1987 in the presence of Pierre Pflimlin, President of the European Parliament. It currently hosts groups wishing to organise educational visits, conferences or professional seminars.

It happened in the EP

February 1989

Mr. Derek PRAG: Plenary Session at the European Parliament in Strasbourg in January 1989 © Communautés européennes 1989

On 16 February 1989, the European Parliament adopts a resolution on improving the conciliation procedure with the Council. Noting that the procedure has been of only limited value thus far, Parliament agrees that the negotiation method could be used to reach compromises on the substance of legislative proposals. It also decides to make more use of the conciliation procedure and to adapt its internal structures for that purpose.
See PRAG report, doc. A2-0351/88, resolution of 16.2.1989, OJ C 69, 20.3.1989

Contact

Historical Archives

Bâtiment Robert Schuman
Place de l'Europe
L-2929 Luxembourg