Irish secondary school students to compete for trip to European Parliament
On Tuesday, 2 March, students from 28 Irish secondary schools will participate in this year's Model Council of the EU event in Dublin Castle. During the event, students will discuss a mock EU law on the use of electric cars throughout the EU.
The 28 schools will represent the European Parliament and the Ministers of Transport from each of the 27 EU Member States. The debate will be chaired by Labour Party TD Ruairí Quinn and can be viewed live at www.euireland.tv.
The Council of the EU, which includes representatives from each of the EU's national governments, now 'co-decides' most EU laws with the European Parliament (i.e. both institutions now have an equal say on most EU laws). This is the fourth Model Council debate to be organised in Ireland and the winning school will travel to Strasbourg in France later this year to participate in the European Parliament's Euroscola project.
Schools participating in the event :
- St Paul's Secondary School, Oughterard, Co. Galway - European Parliament
- St Clare's Comprehensive School, Manorhamilton, Co. Leitrim - Belgium
- St Mary's Secondary School, Ballina, Co. Mayo - Bulgaria
- The Abbey School, Tipperary Town - Czech Republic
- St Dominic's Grammar School for Girls, Belfast - Denmark
- Royal Belfast Academical Institution - Germany
- Killarney Community College, Co. Kerry - Estonia
- Eureka Secondary School, Kells, Co. Meath - Ireland
- Presentation Secondary School, Thurles, Co. Tipperary - Greece
- Dominican College, Wicklow Town - Spain
- Portumna Community School, Co. Galway - France
- Scoil Mhuire Convent of Mercy, Kanturk, Co. Cork - Italy
- Cross and Passion College, Kilcullen, Co. Kildare - Cyprus
- St Vincent's Secondary School, Dundalk, Co. Louth - Latvia
- The King's Hospital, Palmerstown, Dublin 20 - Lithuania
- Glenstal Abbey School, Murroe, Co. Limerick - Luxembourg
- St Brendan's Community School, Birr, Co. Offaly - Hungary
- The Royal School, Armagh - Malta
- St Mary's College, Rathmines, Dublin 6 - the Netherlands
- Christian Brothers Secondary School, Midleton, Co. Cork - Austria
- Rockbrook Park School, Rathfarnham, Dublin 163 - Poland
- Deansrath Community College, Clondalkin, Dublin 22 - Portugal
- Jesus and Mary College, Our Lady's Grove, Dublin 14 - Romania
- Loreto Secondary School, Balbriggan, Co. Dublin - Slovenia
- St Mary's Secondary School, Glasnevin, Dublin 11 - Slovakia
- De La Salle College, Wicklow Town - Finland
- Coláiste de híde, Tamhlacht, B.Á.C.24 - Sweden
- St Flannan's College, Ennis, Co. Clare - United Kingdom
What is Euroscola?:
During this one-day event at the European Parliament in Strasbourg, the winning students have the opportunity to sit in the EP's chamber and to re-enact the work of MEPs. The participating students take part in discussions on topical European subjects and engage in group activities where they interact with their peers from other EU member states and communicate using their foreign language skills.
For further information, please contact:
Marie Quinn at the European Parliament Office in Ireland
or Joan Flanagan at the European Commission Representation in Ireland.