President of the European Parliament to visit Ireland next week
The President of the European Parliament, Jerzy Buzek MEP, will pay an official visit to Ireland next week on Monday and Tuesday, 11 and 12 July. Mr Buzek will visit the site of the Battle of the Boyne and meet with the President of Ireland, Mary McAleese, the Taoiseach, Enda Kenny TD, the Tánaiste, Eamon Gilmore TD, Minister of State for European Affairs, Lucinda Creighton TD, the Ceann Comhairle, Seán Barrett TD and the Cathaoirleach of the Seanad, Senator Paddy Burke. The President will make a formal address to the Seanad and participate in an exchange of views with the Oireachtas European Affairs Committee. Speaking ahead of the visit, the President said that 'Ireland is a key partner in the EU ..[and].. contributes a lot to the EU.' Mr Buzek said that 'Irish MEPs are playing an important role representing the interests of Irish citizens on issues ranging from the strength of the internal market and EU structural funds to the Common Agricultural Policy.'
Pointing to Ireland's contribution to the EU, Mr Buzek referred to Ireland's participation in EU peacekeeping missions. The President also said that Ireland 'has run six successful EU Presidencies to date, including 2004 when Ireland oversaw EU enlargement and reunification of the continent.' He concluded that he is looking forward 'to Ireland's seventh Presidency of the Council of the EU in the first half of 2013.'
Monday, 11 July 2011:
- Battle of the Boyne Visitor Centre with Minister for EU Affairs Lucinda Creighton TD.
- Meeting with cross-border groups/projects in receipt of EU funding
- Meeting with Mr Eamon Gilmore TD, Tánaiste, Minister for Foreign Affairs and Labour
Tuesday, 12 July 2011
- Meeting with the Taoiseach followed by joint press point
- Meeting with Polish Community at the EP Office in Ireland
- Meeting with President Mary McAleese
- Meeting with the Ceann Comhairle, Seán Barrett TD
- Meeting with the Cathaoirleach of the Seanad, Senator Paddy Burke
- Address to Seanad Éireann
- Exchange of Views with EU Affairs Committee
Note to Editors:
TV footage of the visit will be available for download in broadcast and web quality following its broadcast on Europe by Satellite:
For further information, please contact the following:
Richard Freedman, Press Officer travelling with the President's delegation
Mobile phone number: 0032 498 983 239
Amanda Bane, Press Office, Department of Foreign Affairs
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org; Mobile number 087 6837205
Eimear Ní Bhroin, Press Officer, European Parliament Office in Ireland
Email address: email@example.com or 086 8559423