Seminar: Coastal Resource Protection and Management
EP Offices Molesworth Street Dublin from 09.30 - 4.00 on Friday, November 18th 2011
This Seminar is organized by the Marine Group of the Environmental Pillar and hosted by the European Parliament offices in Ireland.
9.45 Welcome, Francis Jacobs, Director EP offices Dublin
10.00 Session 1: Sustainable Inshore Fisheries and Wild Harvesting
- Sustainable Inshore Fisheries and Jobs. Reflections on Italy and Ireland - Dr Ilaria Vielmini, Ziguele Association Italy
- Protecting, growing and harvesting: Aiming for wise use of wild resources and aquaculture minimizing impact and maximising job potential. Short interventions setting out status and harvest issues in and out of Natura sites for species incl. oysters (Karin Dubsky Coastwatch) , mussels (Brendan Price IWDG) and razor shells ( Dr. Ed Fahy).
11.20 Group works on ways forward by species and area, especially Natura 2000 sites. Back up: legal questions related to Sea Fisheries by Declan Quigley , Senior Port Officer,SFPA
12.20 Groups report back and clarifications
12.40 Conclusions and recommendations.
1.00 Lunch break
1.45 Session II - Coastal and Marine Protection on the Island of Ireland
- Marine Protected Areas in N. Ireland - Dr Joe Breen, Head of Aquatic Science Team,
- Northern Ireland Environment Agency
- Climate change adaptation - planning for the soft coast - Dr Kevin Lynch, School of Geography and Archaeology, National University of Ireland, Galway
- grass - example of a habitat stakeholders need to know to protect. Karin Dubsky, Coastwatch in joint work with EPA, Coastwatchers and local communities.
3.00 EU coastal policy and European Parliament priorities - Nessa Childers MEP
3.20 Panel Discussion: Implementing protection plans and legislation
3.50 Closing remarks, Barbara Nolan, Head of the European Representation in Ireland.