Seminar on career opportunities for Lawyer-Linguists in the EU institutions, 4 December, 5.30pm
The European Personnel Selection Office (EPSO) is currently holding an open competition to select candidates for recruitment as lawyer-linguists in the European Parliament and the Council of the European Union. This seminar will provide attendees with a first-hand insight into the work of a lawyer-linguist in the EU Institutions and a detailed overview of the key stages of EPSO’s recruitment process. Attendance is free of charge but participants are requested to register in advance by contacting the European Commission Representation in Ireland email@example.com
Based primarily in Brussels, these roles will offer successful candidates an opportunity to play a key role in the EU’s legislative processes. The rewards for successful applicants are impressive with a competitive starting salary, a range of additional employment benefits and an opportunity to work in a dynamic, uniquely multilingual, multicultural legal environment.
Featuring presentations from Ms Ellen Robson, Head of Unit for Legislative Quality at the European Parliament with extensive experience as a lawyer-linguist, and Padraig Love, of the Public Appointments Service and formerly seconded to EPSO, the seminar will be invaluable for anyone considering applying for this competition or interested in pursuing a career in the EU institutions more generally.
The event will take place on Wednesday, 4 December at European Union House, 18 Dawson Street, Dublin 2. Registration will open at 5.15pm, with light refreshments available. The seminar itself will start at 5.30pm.
5.30 Welcome: Mr Francis Jacobs, Head of the European Parliament Information Office in Ireland
5.35 Mr Padraig Love, Public Appointments Service: The Lawyer-Linguist Competition – Key Stages & Preparation
6.15 Ms Ellen Robson, European Parliament Head of Unit for Legislative Quality: The Work of a Lawyer-Linguist in the European Parliament
6.45 Questions and Answers
7.00 Closing Remarks: Ms Joan Flanagan, European Commission Representation in Ireland
Further Information on EPSO’s recruitment competition for Lawyer-Linguists
What you need:
- a bachelor’s degree in Law or a qualification as a barrister or solicitor
- a perfect command of English or Irish or Danish or Dutch or German
- a thorough command of at least two other official EU languages
How to apply:
1. Submit an online application form to EPSO before 10 December 2013 (http://europa.eu/epso/)
2. Following this initial online application, eligible candidates will be required to sit computer-based translation tests in early 2014. Test centres are located in cities throughout the EU so candidates can sit their CBTs in Dublin or elsewhere, depending on what is most convenient.
3. The top performing candidates will then be invited to attend an assessment centre in Brussels where both their legal and language skills will be assessed by a panel
4. Candidates who successfully pass the assessment centre stage will be placed on a reserve list from which they can be recruited to a Lawyer-Linguist position