Reactions to Tusk's “UK in EU” proposal dominate pre-summit debate
Social benefits for migrant workers in the UK, honesty versus populism and how to ensure respect for different countries' views on EU integration were the key issues raised by Parliament's political group leaders in Wednesday’s debate, with a view to the UK’s forthcoming EU membership referendum. The debate is Parliament's input to the 18-19 February EU summit, which will also focus on migration.
After a first speaking round with Dutch foreign minister Bert Koenders, EU Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker and EP political group leaders, the debate continues until noon with other MEPs and final statements by Messrs Koenders and Juncker.
Recordings of the first speeches are already available (click on names for replay)
- Opening by Martin SCHULZ, EP President and statement Bert KOENDERS on behalf of the council
- Statement Jean-Claude JUNCKER
- Manfred WEBER (EPP, DE) + bluecard
- Giovanni PITTELLA (S&D, IT) + bluecard
- Syed KAMALL (ECR, UK) + bluecard
- Guy VERHOFSTADT (ALDE, BE) + bluecard
- Gabriele ZIMMER (GUE/NGL, DE) + bluecard
- Rebecca HARMS (GREENS/EFA) + bluecard
- Nigel FARAGE (EFDD) + bluecard
- Marine LE PEN (ENF, FR) + bluecard