What are political groups and how are they formed?
- a political group must consist of at least 25 MEPs elected in at least one one-quarter of the member states (i.e. at least 7)
- by forming a group, MEPs accept by definition that they have political affinity - a political declaration, setting out the purpose of the group is included in the statement sent to the President
- negotiations will start as of 27 May
- to be recognized as of 2 July, political groups have to notify their composition by 1 July
- a political group can be created at any time during the legislature