Parvis in front of European Parliament
Hoisting of the European Flag by Eurocorps with Members of the European Parliament (MEPs) as well as representatives of the City of Strasbourg and other French and European public figures. Playing of the European Anthem by a military band.
Official opening ceremony of the Open Doors Day by Vice-President of the European Parliament Rainer Wieland.
12.00 to 14.00
In the Hemicycle: Public debate in the chamber with MEPs on the theme "European elections: Act, React, Impact!". The debate will be interpreted into English, German and French.
10.00 to 18.00
In the Louise Weiss building:
- Visitors can receive information about the European Parliament's role and competencies on a sign posted tour (approx.1h).* The political groups (EPP, S&D, ALDE/ADLE, Greens/EFA, ECR, GUE/NGL) and the different Directorates-General present their activities and provide information about their work.
- The European Ombudsman, the European Central Bank, the European Court of Auditors and several French-German associations are there to answer any questions visitors might have.
- Greece and Italy who are holding this year's Presidency of the Council of the European Union are the guests of honour.
- Performances throughout the day and visitors can sample culinary delights.
- Quiz Trail
- Information: On the big screen and at the stand of the European Parliament's Information Office in Strasbourg
Doors of European Parliament buildings close to the public.
* Refreshments and snacks are available at the end of the tour.
First issue of "Europe 2014" stamp available at the French post office in the European Parliament.