In the ordinary legislative procedure, the Council adopts a first reading position if it does not approve Parliament's first reading position.
The Council sends its first reading position to Parliament for second reading.
Parliament may, within three months (which may be extended by a further month):
- approve the Council position without amendment: the act is deemed adopted in the wording which corresponds to the Council position;
- decide not to act: the act is deemed adopted in the wording which corresponds to the Council position;
- adopt amendments to the Council position: Parliament adopts its position at second reading by a majority of its component members and sends it to the Council for its second reading and to the Commission for its opinion;
- reject the Council position: the act is not adopted and the procedure is thereby concluded.
- For further information see:
- Council positions