MEPs back unspent money for local energy & transport investment
- Unused funds to boost transport & energy projects
- Money aimed at local towns and Councils
Greening Europe's transport; The world's first hybrid diesel electric double decker bus in London, 16 March 2007 ©BELGA
Local services that create jobs and improve energy efficiency received a boost Thursday (2 September) when MEPs on the Industry, Research and Energy Committee approved plans for more investment. The main beneficiaries will be towns and local authorities across the European Union. The money is likely to be around €115 million and is part of the unallocated funds of the European Energy Programme for Recovery. The Parliament has pushed hard and successfully for the unspent money to be used.
- Cleaner transport around towns
- Smarter and more efficient energy grids
- Street lighting that is more efficient and that is powered using solar power or that switches itself off
- Smart metering of energy use - so that you only pay for what you use.