1. Is the Commission aware of the growing flood of reports about a new pathogen, a microscopic mould which has been found disproportionately frequently in genetically modified agricultural products of the RoundUp-Ready type manufactured by the chemicals group Monsanto?
2. What has the Commission done to assess the possible impact of this unique pathogen, particularly on human health and animal welfare, in the EU?
3. What is the Commission’s assessment of the fact that the US Agriculture Secretary, Tom Vilsack, has not responded even provisionally to the warnings received from his adviser, Don M. Huber, on this subject?
4. Does the Commission agree with the American emeritus professor Huber that this matter needs to be treated as an emergency? Has the Commission considered helping or advising the USA with regard to this?
5. Does the Commission agree that Monsanto’s sponsorship of a member of the US House of Representatives who is influential in this field undermines the credibility of the chemicals company and the reputation of American politics? I am referring to the recently elected Chair of the House’s Agriculture Committee, Lucas, who according the website Open Secrets of Monsanto accepted money for his election campaign (see http://www.opensecrets.org/politicians/summary.php?cid=N00005559&cycle=2010) and shortly afterwards did the company a favour with regard to the general licensing of RoundUp Alfalfa as a feedingstuff product.