– having regard to the Commission proposal to the Council (COM(2011)0577),
– having regard to Article 349 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union, pursuant to which the Council consulted Parliament (C7-0311/2011),
– having regard to Rules 55 and 46(1) of its Rules of Procedure,
– having regard to the report of the Committee on Regional Development (A7-0382/2011),
1. Approves the Commission proposal;
2. Calls on the Council to notify Parliament if it intends to depart from the text approved by Parliament;
3. Asks the Council to consult Parliament again if it intends to substantially amend the text approved by Parliament;
4. Instructs its President to forward its position to the Council, the Commission and the national parliaments.
Taking into account the special conditions, characteristics and constraints of the EU's outermost regions, including the French Overseas departments (FOD), the Council, on a proposal from the Commission and after consulting the European Parliament, will adopt specific measures aimed at laying down the conditions of application of the Treaties, including common policies. One of the areas concerned by these specific measures is fiscal policy. However, the measures formerly mentioned will not undermine the integrity and coherence of the Union legal order.
Council Decision 2007/659/EC of 9 October 2007, adopted on the basis of article 299(2) of the EC Treaty (now Article 349 TFEU), authorises France to apply to "traditional" rum produced in its overseas departments and sold on the French mainland a reduced rate of excise duty. The reduction in excise duty is limited to an annual quota of 108 000 hl of pure alcohol. The derogation expires on 31 December 2012.
On 29 June 2010, the French authorities sent the Commission the report provided for in article 4 of Decision 2007/659/EC, which included two requests. First, the petition of increasing the annual quota from 108 000 hectolitres to 125 000 hectolitres of pure alcohol in order to reflect developments on the market for rum in the EU. Secondly, the extension by one year, to 31 December 2013, of the period of application of Decision 2007/659/EC so as to bring it into line with that of the State aid decision on the same issue taken by the Commission on 27 June 2007 (State aid N° N 530/2006).
Following the provisions or article 46 of the Rules of Procedure, the Chair proposes to adopt this resolution without amendments.
Amendment of Decision 2007/659/EC as regards its period of application and the annual quota benefiting from a reduced rate of excise duty