– having regard to the Commission proposal to the European Parliament and the Council (COM(2006)0565)(1),
– having regard to Articles 251(2) and 285(1) of the EC Treaty, pursuant to which the Commission submitted the proposal to Parliament (C6-0326/2006),
– having regard to Rule 51 of its Rules of Procedure,
– having regard to the report of the Committee on Employment and Social Affairs (A6-0181/2007),
1. Approves the Commission proposal as amended;
2. Calls on the Commission to refer the matter to Parliament again if it intends to amend the proposal substantially or replace it with another text;
3. Instructs its President to forward its position to the Council and the Commission.
Text proposed by the Commission
Amendments by Parliament
RECITAL 4 A (new)
(4a) The measures necessary for the implementation of Council Regulation (EC) No 577/98 on the organisation of a labour force sample survey in the Community1 should be adopted in accordance with Council Decision 1999/468/EC of 28 June 1999 laying down the procedures for the exercise of implementing powers conferred on the Commission2.
1 OJ L 77, 14.3.1998, p.3. Regulation as last amended by Regulation (EC) No 2257/2003 of the European Parliament and of the Council (OJ L 336, 23.12.2003, p.6).
2 OJ L 184, 17.7.1999, p. 23. Decision as amended by Decision 2006/512/EC (OJ L 200, 22.7.2006, p. 11).
ARTICLE 1, POINT 1 A (new)
Article 4, paragraph 2, subparagraph 2, introductory part (Regulation (EC) No 577/98)
1a. In Article 4,paragraph 2, the introductory part of subparagraph 2 shall be replaced by the following:
"A programme of ad hoc modules covering several years shall be laid down annually in accordance with the regulatory procedure specified in Article 8(2):"
ARTICLE 1, POINT 1 B (new)
Article 4, paragraph 3 (Regulation (EC) No 577/98)
1b. In Article 4,paragraph 3 shall be replaced by the following:
"3. The definitions, edits to be used, codification of variables, adjustment of the list of survey variables made necessary by the evolution of techniques and concepts, and a list of principles for the formulation of the questions concerning the labour status, shall be laid down in accordance with the regulatory procedure specified in Article 8(2)."
ARTICLE 1, POINT 2
Article 6, paragraph 2 (Regulation (EC) No 577/98)
Data corresponding to the survey characteristic 'wages from the main job' can be forwarded to Eurostat within eighteen months of the end of the reference period when administrative data are used to supply this information.
Data corresponding to the survey characteristic 'wages from the main job' can be forwarded to Eurostat within twenty-one months of the end of the reference period when administrative data are used to supply this information.
Jan Andersson, Alexandru Athanasiu, Edit Bauer, Iles Braghetto, Philip Bushill-Matthews, Alejandro Cercas, Ole Christensen, Derek Roland Clark, Luigi Cocilovo, Harlem Désir, Harald Ettl, Richard Falbr, Ilda Figueiredo, Roger Helmer, Karin Jöns, Ona Juknevičienė, Jan Jerzy Kułakowski, Jean Lambert, Elizabeth Lynne, Thomas Mann, Csaba Őry, Siiri Oviir, Marie Panayotopoulos-Cassiotou, Pier Antonio Panzeri, Elisabeth Schroedter, José Albino Silva Peneda, Jean Spautz, Gabriele Stauner
Substitute(s) present for the final vote
Mihael Brejc, Françoise Castex, Donata Gottardi, Richard Howitt, Jamila Madeira, Mario Mantovani, Agnes Schierhuber, Patrizia Toia