– having regard to the Commission proposal to the European Parliament and the Council (COM(2009)0129),
– having regard to Article 251(2) and Article 175(1) of the EC Treaty, pursuant to which the Commission submitted the proposal to Parliament (C6-0102/2009),
– having regard to the Interinstitutional Agreement of 20 December 1994 - Accelerated working method for official codification of legislative texts(1),
– having regard to Rules 86 and 55 of its Rules of Procedure,
– having regard to the report of the Committee on Legal Affairs (A7-0024/2009),
A. whereas, according to the Consultative Working Party of the legal services of the European Parliament, the Council and the Commission, the proposal in question contains a straightforward codification of the existing texts without any change in their substance,
1. Approves the Commission proposal as adapted to the recommendations of the Consultative Working Party of the legal services of the European Parliament, the Council and the Commission;
2. Instructs its President to forward its position to the Council and the Commission.
Pursuant to the interinstitutional agreement of 20 December 1994 on an accelerated working method for official codification of legislative texts, and, in particular, point 4 thereof, the consultative group of the legal services of the European Parliament, the Council and the Commission met on 2 April 2009 to examine, among other texts, the above proposal submitted by the Commission.
In its examination(1) of the proposal for a Directive of the European Parliament and of the Council codifying Council Directive 79/409/EEC of 2 April 1979 on the conservation of wild birds, the Group agreed unanimously that the scope of the proposal does not go beyond codification pure and simple and that it makes no substantive changes to the legal texts concerned.