– having regard to the draft Council decision concerning the renewal of the Agreement on cooperation in science and technology between the European Community and Ukraine (11047/2014),
– having regard to the Agreement on cooperation in science and technology between the European Community and Ukraine(1),
– having regard to the request for consent submitted by the Council in accordance with Articles 186 and Article 218(6), second subparagraph, point (a)(v), of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union (C8-0114/2014),
– having regard to Rule 99(1), first and third subparagraphs, Rule 99(2), Rule 108(7) and Rule 50(1) of its Rules of Procedure,
– having regard to the recommendation of the Committee on Industry, Research and Energy (A8-0039/2014),
1. Gives its consent to renewal of the agreement;
2. Instructs its President to forward its position to the Council, the Commission and the governments and parliaments of the Member States and of Ukraine.
The material content of the renewed Agreement will be identical to that of the current Agreement, which expires on 7 November 2014.
The present initiative will allow both Parties to improve and intensify their cooperation in science and technology in areas of common interest and will allow further exchange of specific knowledge and a transfer of know-how to the benefit of the scientific communities, industry and the citizens.
The Commission services will regularly monitor all actions carried out under the Agreement, which will include a review by the EU. The review will consist of the following elements;
(a) Performance indicators – number of proposals put forward by Ukraine for the specific programme compared with number of proposals selected for funding under the programme.
(b) Data collection – based on information from the specific programme of the Framework Programme and information provided by Ukraine to the Joint Community-Ukraine Committee, established under Article 6 of the Agreement.
The Agreement is based on the principles of mutual benefit, reciprocal access to programmes and activities of the other Party, in connection with the subject of the Agreement, non-discrimination, effective protection of intellectual property and equitable sharing of IPR and effective exploitation of results. The renewal of this Agreement will allow for increased scientific knowledge leading to market access opportunities.