European Parliament legislative resolution of 17 December 2008 on the proposal for a directive of the European Parliament and of the Council amending Directive 2003/87/EC so as to improve and extend the greenhouse gas emission allowance trading system of the Community (COM(2008)0016 – C6-0043/2008 – 2008/0013(COD))
(Codecision procedure: first reading)
The European Parliament
– having regard to the Commission proposal to the European Parliament and the Council (COM(2008)0016),
– having regard to Article 251(2) and Article 175(1) of the EC Treaty, pursuant to which the Commission submitted the proposal to Parliament (C6-0043/2008),
– having regard to Rule 51 of its Rules of Procedure,
– having regard to the report of the Committee on the Environment, Public Health and Food Safety and the opinions of the Committee on Industry, Research and Energy, the Committee on International Trade, the Committee on Economic and Monetary Affairs and the Committee on Regional Development (A6-0406/2008),
1. Approves the Commission proposal as amended;
2. Calls on the Commission to refer the matter to Parliament again if it intends to amend the proposal substantially or replace it with another text;
3. Takes note of the statements of the Commission annexed to this resolution.
4. Instructs its President to forward its position to the Council and Commission.
Position of the European Parliament adopted at first reading on 17 December 2008 with a view to the adoption of Directive 2009/.../EC of the European Parliament and of the Council amending Directive 2003/87/EC so as to improve and extend the greenhouse gas emission allowance trading system of the Community
(As an agreement was reached between Parliament and Council, Parliament's position at first reading corresponds to the final legislative act, Directive 2009/29/EC.)
Commission statement ad Article 10, paragraph 3 on the use of revenues generated from the auctioning of allowances
Between 2013 and 2016, Member States may also use revenues generated from the auctioning of allowances to support the construction of highly efficient power plants, including new energy power plants that are CCS-ready. For new installations exceeding the degree of efficiency of a power plant according to Annex 1 to the Commission Decision of 21 December 2006 (2007/74/EC)(1)
the Member States may support up to 15% of the total costs of the investment for a new installation that is CCS-ready.
Commission statement ad Article 10a, paragraph 4a
on the Community guidelines for state aid for environmental protection and the EU emissions trading system
Member States may deem it necessary to compensate temporarily certain installations from CO2 costs passed on in electricity prices if the CO2 costs might otherwise expose them to the risk of carbon leakage. In the absence of an international agreement, the Commission undertakes to modify after consulting Member States the Community guidelines on state aid for environmental protection by the end of 2010 to establish detailed provision under which Member States may grant state aid for such support. The provisions will follow the principles as presented in the document submitted to the European Parliament and the Council on 19 November 2008 (Annex 2 15713/1/08).
Commission Decision of 21 December 2006 establishing harmonised efficiency reference values for separate production of electricity and heat in application of Directive 2004/8/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council (notified under document number C(2006) 6817)