European Parliament legislative resolution of 27 February 2014 on the proposal for a regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council amending regulation (EC) No 539/2001 listing the third countries whose nationals must be in possession of visas when crossing the external borders of Member States and those whose nationals are exempt from that requirement (COM(2012)0650 – C7-0371/2012 – 2012/0309(COD))
(Ordinary legislative procedure: first reading)
The European Parliament,
– having regard to the Commission proposal to Parliament and the Council (COM(2012)0650),
– having regard to Article 294(2) and Article 77(2)(a) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union, pursuant to which the Commission submitted the proposal to Parliament (C7‑0371/2012),
– having regard to Article 294(3) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union,
– having regard to the undertaking given by the Council representative by letter of 5 February 2014 to approve Parliament’s position, in accordance with Article 294(4) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union,
– having regard to Rule 55 of its Rules of Procedure,
– having regard to the report of the Committee on Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs (A7-0373/2013),
1. Adopts its position at first reading hereinafter set out;
2. Approves the statement by Parliament, the Council and the Commission annexed to this resolution;
3. Takes note of the statement by the Commission annexed to this resolution;
4. Calls on the Commission to refer the matter to Parliament again if it intends to amend its proposal substantially or replace it with another text;
5. Instructs its President to forward its position to the Council, the Commission and the national parliaments.
Position of the European Parliament adopted at first reading on 27 February 2014 with a view to the adoption of Regulation (EU) No .../2014 of the European Parliament and of the Council amending Council
Regulation (EC) No 539/2001 listing the third countries whose nationals must be in possession of visas when crossing the external borders and those whose nationals are exempt from that requirement
(As an agreement was reached between Parliament and Council, Parliament's position corresponds to the final legislative act, Regulation (EU) No 509/2014.)
ANNEX TO THE LEGISLATIVE RESOLUTION
European Parliament, Council and Commission statement on the further assessment of Colombia and Peru
The European Parliament and the Council recognise the need for a further assessment of the fulfilment by Colombia and Peru of the relevant criteria before the Commission presents recommendations to the Council for decisions authorising the opening of negotiations on visa waiver agreements with those countries.
The Commission commits to proceed with those assessments without delay and to transmit them to the European Parliament and to the Council as soon as possible after the entry into force of this Regulation.
The European Parliament and the Council take note of that commitment by the Commission.
Commission statement on informing the European Parliament
The Commission welcomes the adoption by the European Parliament and the Council of its proposal amending Regulation (EC) No 539/2001 aimed at updating the Annexes containing the lists of third countries whose nationals are subject to, or exempt from, the visa requirement.
In accordance with the Framework Agreement of 20 October 2010 on relations between the European Parliament and the European Commission, and in particular point 23 thereof, the Commission reiterates its commitment to inform the European Parliament regularly about the conduct of negotiations on visa waiver agreements arising from the transfer of certain countries to Annex II to Regulation (EC) No 539/2001. The Commission will present updates to the relevant bodies in the European Parliament at least twice a year.