European Parliament legislative resolution of 25 October 2007 on the proposal for a Council regulation on the conclusion of the Fisheries Partnership Agreement between the European Community and the Republic of Mozambique (COM(2007)0472 – C6-0284/2007 – 2007/0170(CNS))
The European Parliament
– having regard to the proposal for a Council regulation (COM(2007)0472),
– having regard to Article 37 and Article 300(2), of the EC Treaty,
– having regard to Article 300(3), first subparagraph, of the EC Treaty, pursuant to which the Council consulted Parliament (C6-0284/2007),
– having regard to Rules 51 and 83(7) of its Rules of Procedure,
– having regard to the report of the Committee on Fisheries and the opinions of the Committee on Development and the Committee on Budgets (A6-0404/2007),
1. Approves the proposal for a Council regulation as amended and approves conclusion of the agreement;
2. Instructs its President to forward its position to the Council and Commission, and the governments and parliaments of the Member States and the Republic of Mozambique.
Text proposed by the Commission
Amendments by Parliament
Amendment 1 Recital 2 a (new)
(2a)The European Community's financial contribution should be used for the development of coastal populations living on fisheries and the creation of small industrial fish freezing and processing undertakings at local level;
Amendment 2 Recital 2 b (new)
(2b)It is important to improve the information provided to the European Parliament. To this end, the Commission should forward the conclusions of the meetings of the joint committee referred to in Article 9 of the Agreement.
Amendment 4 Article 3 a (new)
The Commission shall report annually to the European Parliament and the Council on the results of the multiannual sectoral programme referred to in Article 7 of the Protocol.
Amendment 5 Article 3 b (new)
The Commission shall forward to the European Parliament the conclusions of the meetings of the joint committee referred to in Article 9 of the Agreement.
Amendment 6 Article 3 c (new)
During the final year of the Protocol's validity and before another agreement as to its renewal is concluded, the Commission shall submit to the European Parliament and the Council a report on the application of the Agreement and the conditions under which it was implemented.
Amendment 7 Article 3 d (new)
On the basis of the report referred to in Article 3c and after consulting the European Parliament, the Council shall, where appropriate, grant the Commission a negotiating mandate with a view to the adoption of a new protocol.