European Parliament legislative resolution of 22 April 2009 on the proposal for a Council regulation amending Regulation (EC) No 637/2008 as regards the national restructuring programmes for the cotton sector (COM(2009)0037 – C6-0063/2009 – 2009/0008(CNS))
The European Parliament
– having regard to the Commission proposal to the Council (COM(2009)0037),
– having regard to the Act of Accession of 1979, and in particular paragraph 6 of Protocol No 4 on cotton annexed to the Act,
– having regard to Article 37(2), third subparagraph of the EC Treaty, pursuant to which the Council consulted Parliament (C6-0063/2009),
– having regard to Rule 51 of its Rules of Procedure,
– having regard to the report of the Committee on Agriculture and Rural Development (A6-0200/2009),
1. Approves the Commission proposal as amended;
2. Calls on the Commission to alter its proposal accordingly, pursuant to Article 250(2) of the EC Treaty;
3. Calls on the Council to notify Parliament if it intends to depart from the text approved by Parliament;
4. Asks the Council to consult Parliament again if it intends to amend the Commission proposal substantially;
5. Instructs its President to forward its position to the Council and Commission.
Text proposed by the Commission
Amendment 1 Proposal for a regulation – amending act Recital 1 a (new)
(1a)The reform that entered into force on 1 January 2006 led to a drastic fall in cotton production in Spain that has seriously jeopardised the sector's survival, resulting in the immediate restructuring of the ginning industry.