European Parliament legislative resolution of 22 April 2009 on the proposal for a directive of the European Parliament and of the Council on machinery for pesticide application, amending Directive 2006/42/EC of 17 May 2006 on machinery (COM(2008)0535 – C6-0307/2008 – 2008/0172(COD))
(Codecision procedure: first reading)
The European Parliament
– having regard to the Commission proposal to the European Parliament and the Council (COM(2008)0535),
– having regard to Article 251(2) and Article 95 of the EC Treaty, pursuant to which the Commission submitted the proposal to Parliament (C6-0307/2008),
– having regard to Rule 51 of its Rules of Procedure,
– having regard to the report of the Committee on the Internal Market and Consumer Protection (A6-0137/2009),
1. Approves the Commission proposal as amended;
2. Takes note of the Commission statement annexed to this resolution;
3. Calls on the Commission to refer the matter to Parliament again if it intends to amend the proposal substantially or replace it with another text;
4. Instructs its President to forward its position to the Council and Commission.
Position of the European Parliament adopted at first reading on 22 April 2009 with a view to the adoption of Directive 2009/.../EC of the European Parliament and of the Council amending Directive 2006/42/EC with regard to machinery for pesticide application
(As an agreement was reached between Parliament and Council, Parliament's position at first reading corresponds to the final legislative act, Directive 2009/127/EC.)
Declaration of the Commission
on standardisation for pesticide application machinery
To support the essential requirements included in Section 2.4 of Annex I, the Commission will mandate CEN to develop harmonised standards for each category of machinery for pesticide application based on the best available techniques for preventing unintended exposure of the environment to pesticides. In particular, the mandate will require the standards to provide criteria and technical specifications for the fitting of mechanical shielding, tunnel spraying and air-assistance systems for spraying, for preventing contamination of the water source during filling and emptying and precise specifications for the manufacturer's instructions to prevent drift of pesticides, taking account of all of the relevant parameters such as nozzles, pressure, boom height, wind speed, air temperature and humidity and driving speed.