In 2009 two major ‘confidential’ projects were financed in the Republic of Moldova, to the tune of EUR 42 million and EUR 37 million respectively.
These projects were carried out within the framework of the European Neighbourhood and Partnership policy.
1. Who decided to classify these projects as confidential? Why?
2. What have the projects achieved?
3. Will the Commission continue in future to make available millions of euros for projects which lack in transparency?
4. What risks does the Commission face from the publication of the content of the projects and the names of recipients of project aid?
5. How is the effectiveness of these projects being monitored?
6. How can citizens be expected to understand awarding funding to projects so lacking in transparency?
7. What criteria are used to establish funding levels? Who decides on the amount of funding?
8. Who determines the content of the project?
9. How can corruption be avoided in these projects?