EP News No. 8/2012
Table Of Contents
Members return to Brussels on 27 February for a week of committee meetings and hearings.
The role of women in the green economy
The public hearing on the role of women in the green economy has the objective of gathering knowledge and information in view of the own-initiative report that the Women's Rights and Gender Equality committee will then draft on the same subject. The hearing will be held on 27 February, from 15.00 - 17.30 in the premises of the European Parliament, Brussels
Dialogue with National Parliaments on CFP Reform package
On 28 February 2012, the members of the Fisheries Committee will hold an exchange with representatives of national Parliaments on various aspects of the ongoing Common Fisheries Policy (CFP) reform. This meeting will provide MEPs and national parlamentarians with the opportunity for a debate on the actual CFP legislative proposals.
Votes on Customs enforcement of IPRs and Budget discharge
On 28-29 February 2012, the Internal Market and Consumer Protection Committee will vote on Customs enforcement of intellectual property rights (Jürgen CREUTZMANN (ALDE, DE)) and 2010 discharge: EU general budget (Cristian Silviu BUŞOI (ALDE, RO)). Moreover, the Members will consider the report on Recreational craft and personal watercraft (Malcolm HARBOUR (ECR, GB)) and the amendments on European Standardisation (Lara COMI (EPP, IT)).
Hearing on the Trade Agreement between the EU and Peru and Colombia
The aim of the Trade Agreement between the EU and Peru and Colombia is to open up markets and stabilise trade relations. But how will the economic operators take advantage of these opportunities? How are human rights, social and environmental objectives taken into account in this agreement? On 29 February 2012, a high-level hearing will provide International Trade Committee Members with an overview and critical analysis of the agreement
Issues involving UK MEPs:
- The future of regional airports in the EU. Rapporteur: Philip Bradbourn's (West Midlands, ECR) - Transport and Tourism committee (Monday)
- The same rights for all air passengers. Rapporteur: Keith Taylor's (South East, Green) - Transport and Tourism committee (Monday)
- Our life insurance, our natural capital: an EU biodiversity strategy to 2020. Rapporteur: Catherine Bearder (South East, Lib Dem) - Regional Development committee
- Consideration of use of Passenger Name Record Data. Rapporteur: Timothy Kirkhope (Y&H, Cons) - Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs committee (Monday)
- Regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council laying down general provisions on the European Regional Development Fund, the European Social Fund and the Cohesion Fund and repealing Regulation. Rapporteur: Derek Vaughan (Wales, Lab) - Budgetary Control committee (Tuesday)
- Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement between the EU and its Member States, Austrailia, Canada, Japan, the Republic of Korea, Mexico, New Zealand, Singapore, Switzerland and the USA. Rapporteur: Ameilia Andersdotter (Greens). Responsible: David Martin (Scotland, Lab)- Industry, Research and Energy committee (Tuesday)
- Common Fisheries Policy. Rapporteur: Chris Davies (North West, Lib Dem)- Environment, Public Health and Food Safety committee (Wednesday)
- Resolution on the 2011 progress report on Montenegro. Rapporteur: Charles Tannock (London, ECR) - Foreign Affaris committee (Wednesday)
- Common organisation of the markets in fishery and aquaculture products. Rapporteur: Joao Ferreira (GUE). Responsible: Struan Stevenson (Scotland, ECR) - Environment, Public Health & Food Safety committee (Wednesday)
- The relation between development and EU foreign policy - Exchange of views with Catherine Ashton, High Representative of the union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy and the Vice-President of the European Commission - Development committee (Wednesday)
Petitions with UK interest:
- Petition 354/2006 by Rodney Maile (British), on alleged pollution along side the Cleddau Estuary as a result of the activity of the two companies Exxon and Qater.
- Petition 211/2007 by Walter Graham (British), on behalf of Council of Northern Ireland against Fluoridation, on concern about the addition of hydrofluosilicic acid (H2SiF6) to drinking water in UK.
- Petition 1363/2010 by David Anthony Andrew Amess MP (British), bearing approximately 4000 signatures, on their protest against the expansion of Southend Airport.
- Petition 384/2011 by Thomas Baxter (British), on fairer car insurance premiums for drivers of all ages.
- Petition 481/2011 by Mark Austin (British), on the meaning of the word 'protection' as referred to several times in Council Directive 2000/43/EC of 29 June 2000 implementing the principle of equal treatment between persons irrespective of racial or ethnic origin.
- Petition 522/2011 by Richard Parsons (British), on events in Gyöngyöspata (Hungary) from 3 to 19 March 2011.
- Foreign Affairs
- Human Rights
- Security and Defence
- International Trade
- Budgetary Control
- Economic and Monetary Affairs
- Employment and Social Affairs
- Environment, Public Health and Food Safety
- Industry, Research and Energy
- Internal Market and Consumer Protection
- Transport and Tourism
- Regional Development
- Agriculture and Rural Development
- Culture and Education
- Legal Affairs
- Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs
- Consititutional Affairs
- Women's Rights and Gender Equality
European Parliament UK Office
tel 020 7227 4300
European Parliamentary sessions 1st half 2012
12-15 March - Strasbourg
28-29 March - Brussels
17-20 April - Strasbourg
9-10 May - Brussels
21-24 May - Strasbourg
11-14 June - Strasbourg
2-5 July - Strasbourg