How is EU funding for migration measures best spent? European Parliament delegation to Sicily
MEPs will assess how best to spend EU funding for migration measures. The delegation will meet Italian Under-Secretary of State in charge of immigration issues Domenico Manzione, among others, and will also visit migrant reception centres in Pozzallo and Mineo in Sicily.
MEPs from the European Parliament's Committee on Budgets and the Committee on Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs will also meet government official in charge of the spending of EU funds for migration measures, representatives of NGOs, the prefects and the heads of police of the area.
The delegation will also talk to officials working at the Frontex border agency, the European Asylum Support Office (EASO), the European police agency Europol, the UNHCR and Italian naval officers.
Derek VAUGHAN MEP (S&D), Richard ASHWORTH MEP (ECR) ) and Jean LAMBERT MEP (Greens) are the British MEPs taking part in the delegation.
Other members attending:
Jean ARTHUIS (ALDE, FR), co-chair
Iliana IOTOVA (S&D, BG),co-chair
José Manuel FERNANDES (EPP, PT)
Salvatore Domenico POGLIESE (EPP, IT)
Giovanni LA VIA (EPP, IT)
Tomás ZDECHOVSKÝ (EPP, CZ)
Eider GARDIAZABAL RUBIAL (S&D, ES)
Kashetu KYENGE (S&D, IT)
Claudia TAPARDEL (S&D, RO)
Bernd KÖLMEL (ECR, DE)
Indrek TARAND (Greens/EFA, ET)
Marco ZANNI (EFDD, IT)
Marco VALLI (EFDD, IT)
Ignazio CORRAO (EFDD, IT)
Laura FERRARA (EFDD, IT)
The draft programme of the visit is below.
Please note that the meetings are closed to media. Furthermore, access to the reception centres is not automatic, so media need to arrange their own accreditation.
DAY 1: Wednesday, 22 July 2015
16.30 - 19.00:
Meetings with NGOs and international organisations:
- Save the Children, International Red Cross, Arci (Servizio Civile Sicilia), JRS - Centro Astalli, Diritti e Frontiere and the NGO Emergency
- Mr Gennaro Migliore, Chair of the Italian Chamber inquiry committee looking into the funding and system for reception, identification and retention of migrants
- Under-Secretary of State Domenico Manzione
- The government department responsible for the AMIF spending: a representative of the Dipartimento Libertà civili
- The prefects of Catania, Agrigento and Ragusa
- The heads of the Italian police in Catania, Agrigento and Ragusa
DAY 2: Thursday, 23 July 2015
09.45 - 11:45, Centro di Primo Soccorso ed Accoglienza of Pozzallo:
Visit to the Centro di Primo Soccorso ed Accoglienza of Pozzallo, including a meeting with the Mayor of Pozzallo, Mr Luigi Ammatuna
11.45 – 14.00:
Meeting with Médecins Sans Frontières
16:00 - 19.00:
- Staff in charge of Frontex and joint operation Triton
- Representative(s) from the Triton coordination centre in Rome
- Staff in charge of EASO
- Staff in charge of Europol
- Representatives from the Italian Navy headquarters of Augusta
- Public Prosecutor of Caltagirone (in charge of Mineo fraud investigation)
19.15 - 20:00 Conference room at Hotel Excelsior
DAY 3: Friday, 24 July 2015
09:30-11:30, Centro di Accoglienza per Richiedenti Asilo (C.A.R.A.):
Visit of C.A.R.A, including exchanges with UNHCR and the NGO Borderline Sicilia Onlus
You can find out more about EU's work on migration here:MEPs want a binding and permanent scheme to distribute asylum seekers in the EU (press release, 16.07.2015)European Parliamentary resolution on funds for response to migration pressures (7.07.2015)European Parliament resolution on the latest tragedies in the Mediterranean and EU migration and asylum policy (29.04.2015)