EurOptions: citizen's forum for young people
Starts: 26/11/2010 - 10:00am
Ends: 26/11/2010 - 4:00pm
Location: Hull, UK
Aims of the day
Delegates from a broad range of education, training, employment, informal and other settings
- Explore key issues affecting the EU today through engaging activities, electronic voting, working groups and debates
- Exchange views with other delegates and UK Vice President MEPs
- Find out more about the European Union (EU) and European Parliament
- Share perspectives with delegates from the Netherlands
- Consider how to influence European issues in future
10.00 Arrival and registration
During the registration period there is an opportunity to enter a competition to win an ipod by submitting an idea to get young people more involved in European issues
10.30 Welcome and introduction
Young hosts, Alex Brown and Sarah King, open the event accompanied by Kenneth During performing 'A rap for Europe'.
10.45 Quiz: what do you know about Europe?
An audience quiz
11.15 Share EurOpinions!
Electronic voting and discussion activity
11.35 Sharing perspectives on European issues
An input prepared and presented by delegates from the Netherlands
11.45 Working groups: four key themes
Through a series of tasks and activities working groups explore one of four key themes in relation to the EU that will be further addressed during the panel discussion:
1) Jobs for young people (employability and skills development for young people in Europe)
2) Migration (the causes and impact of migration)
3) Poverty and inequality (in and between member states)
4) Human rights (the EU's role in protecting them)
13.45 Reports back from working groups and panel discussion
Alex Brown chairs a panel discussion which addresses the working group themes. A representative from each working group will be asked to feedback from their group to start each topic.
- Edward McMillan-Scott MEP, Yorkshire and the Humber (Liberal Democrat) and Vice President of the European Parliament
- Diana Wallis MEP, Yorkshire and the Humber (Liberal Democrat) and Vice President of the European Parliament
- Marije Cornelissen MEP, the Netherlands (GreenLeft) and Vice President of the Green Group
- Ben Marshall, European Youth Parliament
15.00 Have EurOpinions changed?
Electronic voting to revisit key questions from the morning session with input from panellists on results.
15.30 Final remarks and prize-giving
Michael Shackleton, Head of Office, UK Office of the European Parliament
Competition shortlisted entrants will be invited to present their idea before an audience vote will decide the winners and runners up.
Please note, that this is not a public event and attendance is by invitations only!