Still the Europe of Milward? Is the EU Still Rescuing the Nation State ... And Should it?
Event Start: 07/03/2011 - 5:30pm
Event End: 07/03/2011 - 7:00pm
Location : Europe House, 32 Smith Square, London SW1P 3EU
This public panel discussion, organised by the UCL European Institute at Europe House, combines both historical and present-day perspectives on how the European Union and its relationship to the nation-state is evolving.
The event will take its point of departure from the work of the late Alan Milward, formerly the "official" historian of British policy toward the EU and one of the most influential historians of European integration. The discussion will build on the outcomes of a closed workshop session with all speakers, which precedes the public panel.
Confirmed participants are:
- Sir Stephen Wall ( Former Permanent Representative to the EU, now Chair of UCL Council and Milward's successor as the official historian of the UK's relationship with the EU)
- Professor Bo Stråth (Chair in Nordic, European and World History at the Renvall Institute, University of Helsinki)
- Professor Sverker Gustavsson (Department of Government, University of Uppsala)
- Dr Frances Lynch (Department of History, University of Westminster)
- Dr Piers Ludlow (Department of International History, LSE)
- Professor Richard Bellamy (UCL European Institute and School of Public Policy)
- Brendan Donnelly (Director,Federal Trust)