Belgian Ministry of Health's cat sterilisation plans
Question for written answer E-7807/2010
to the Commission
Cristiana Muscardini (PPE)
With a view to addressing Belgium’s cat overpopulation problem, the Ministry of Health has drawn up a five-year plan to sterilise the entire Belgian cat population, with the exception of pedigree cats. Owing to a lack of funds, this plan has yet to be implemented.
1. What stage has been reached with this plan?
2. If the necessary funds were available, could the plan be implemented?
3. Would implementation of the plan be in keeping with EU directives on animal protection?
4. Would the Commission not agree that distinguishing between pedigree cats and mongrel cats constitutes discrimination?
5. Should the sterilisation plans not be restricted to groups of abandoned cats?
OJ C 243 E, 20/08/2011