Bilateral transfer of financial messaging data (SWIFT)
Question for written answer E-003148/2011
to the Commission
Sophia in 't Veld (ALDE) , Alexander Alvaro (ALDE) and Renate Weber (ALDE)
On Saturday, 19 March 2011, the Dutch newspaper NRC Handelsblad reported that the Dutch authorities are transferring SWIFT data on a bilateral basis to the US, doing so on the basis of the Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty (MLAT).
1. Is the Commission aware of the media reports of bilateral transfers of financial messaging data by the Dutch authorities, even after the entry into force of the EU‑US SWIFT Agreement (TFTP II)?
2. Has the Commission ever been informed concerning such bilateral transfers of financial messaging data?
3. Is the Commission aware of any bilateral agreements between other Member States and the US concerning the transfer of financial messaging data?
4. Does the Commission consider such bilateral transfers to be compatible with the EU‑US SWIFT Agreement (TFTP II) concluded last year?
5. Does the Commission consider such bilateral transfers to be in line with the acquis communautaire?
OJ C 309 E, 21/10/2011