Second Gaza flotilla — links to Hamas
Question for written answer E-004483/2011
to the Commission
Daniël van der Stoep (NI)
The Dutch Freedom Party (Partij voor de Vrijheid) is concerned about the second flotilla scheduled to sail from Turkey to Gaza in May 2011. It was recently revealed that the terrorist organisation Hamas, which holds power in Gaza, will be participating in the flotilla.
The flotilla is larger than the last one, with 15 ships transporting over 1000 people, who are trying to keep up the pretence of pursuing only ‘humanitarian ends’; they are allegedly seeking to break Israel’s naval blockade and bring humanitarian aid to the people of Gaza. Nothing could be further from the truth. The participation of Hamas proves that the flotilla is a provocation, if not a declaration of war, aimed at Israel. The ‘humanitarian ends’ are an attempt to disguise this from the outside world.
It is also scandalous that Turkey — which, it should be noted, is a candidate for EU membership — is allowing the flotilla to depart, thereby supporting the terrorist organisation Hamas and proving that it should never become a Member State of the EU.
1. Is the Commission aware that the second flotilla — as shown by the participation of Hamas — has only terrorist objectives aimed against Israel? If not, why not?
2. Is the Commission prepared to acknowledge that the flotilla constitutes a provocation, if not a declaration of war, aimed at Israel, and should therefore no longer be called a ‘peace flotilla’? If not, why not?
3. Is the Commission aware that Turkey is supporting the terrorist organisation Hamas by allowing the Gaza flotilla to depart? If not, why not?
4. Is the Commission prepared to recognise that Turkey, by the fact of its support for the flotilla and for Hamas, should never become a Member State of the EU and therefore that all negotiations with Turkey should be halted directly? If not, why not?
5. Does the Commission agree that EU nationals who travel with the flotilla should be prosecuted for participating in or supporting a terrorist organisation? If not, why not?
6. Does the Commission agree that EU nationals who are arrested as a result of their participation in the flotilla should be denied any form of consular assistance? If not, why not?
-  http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/israel-new-gaza-flotilla-has-ties-to-hamas-terrorist-organisations-1.357416
OJ C 314 E, 27/10/2011