Mass murder of animals in Romania continues: 70 horses slaughtered
Question for written answer E-005274/2011
to the Commission
Daniël van der Stoep (NI)
The Dutch Party of Freedom (PVV) recently expressed its horror at the murder of 220 dogs in Romania.
The cruelty of the Romanian animal tormentors knows no bounds: now it is the horses’ turn. In Tulcea, 70 horses were brutally slaughtered — and why? It is not even clear if there was anything wrong with them, as no tests were available. It is unacceptable that this should happen in an EU Member State.
1. Is the Commission aware of the Romanian report entitled ‘70 de cai salbatici masacrati la ordinul autoritatilor din Tulcea’ (70 wild horses slaughtered on the orders of the Tulcea authorities)?
2. Is the Commission, like the PVV, horrified at the mass murder of 70 Romanian horses? If not, why not?
3. Does the Commission acknowledge that Romanians are habitual tormentors of animals and that this is incompatible with the values on which the European Union is based? If not, why not?
4. Does the Commission propose to rap Romania on the knuckles and remind it that the mass murder of defenceless animals is unacceptable behaviour in the EU? If not, why not?
5. Is the Commission prepared, as a punishment, to halt the flow of EU funds to Romania? If not, why not?
-  http://www.pvv-europa.nl/index.php/component/content/article/38-daniel-van-der-stoep/2708-pvv-europa-walgt-van-massamoord-op-roemeense-honden.html
-  http://observator.a1.ro/social/70-de-cai-salbatici-masacrati-la-ordinul-autoritat_37084.html
OJ C 365 E, 15/12/2011