• EN - English
  • IT - italiano
  • NL - Nederlands
Parliamentary question - E-004656/2012(ASW)Parliamentary question

    Answer given by Mr Dalli on behalf of the Commission

    As mentioned by the Honourable Member, dogs not meeting the criteria for non-commercial movement of pet animals in the definition in Article 3(a) of Regulation (EC) No 998/2003[1] may be subject to intra-Union trade, provided they comply with the animal health conditions set out in Directive 92/65/EEC[2].

    Directive 92/65/EEC provides that the animals must meet the health requirements set up in Article 10 thereof that refer to the relevant requirements laid down in Regulation (EC) No 998/2003 and are to come from registered holdings. The health certificate accompanying the animals shall therefore state the veterinary registration number assigned to that holding by the competent authority.

    A charity organisation of a non-commercial status may register as a holding of origin. The obligation to produce a trader’s Tax Identification Number (TIN) is not a requirement resulting from the application of Directive 92/65EEC.

    The Commission is aware that certain Member States required the consignor and the consignee to have a commercial status and requested a commercial tax reference number prior to issuing the abovementioned certificate. However, following clarification by the Commission, the competent authorities of those Member States informed the Commission that they had abandoned this practice.

    Therefore, the Commission does not consider that further legislation is needed.

    OJ C 248 E, 29/08/2013