Answer given by Mr Andriukaitis on behalf of the Commission
The 2007 Strategy for Europe on Nutrition, Overweight and Obesity-related Health Issues promotes a balanced diet and active lifestyles for all. The strategy encourages action-oriented partnerships involving the 28 EU Member States (High Level Group for Nutrition and Physical Activity) and civil society (EU Platform for Action on Diet, Physical Activity and Health).
The 2014 Council Conclusions on Nutrition and Physical Activity highlight that ‘healthy dietary patterns are characterised by high consumption of fruits and vegetables, consumption of fish and by giving preference to low-fat dairy, whole grains, lean meat and poultry and using vegetable oils as replacement of solid fats where possible, as in the Mediterranean diet or any other diets, following relevant national dietary guidelines/nutrition recommendations’.
In this context, the Commission intends to continue supporting EU level and Member States' initiatives promoting balanced diets. As regards establishing dietary recommendations, this is a competence of the Member States.
The Commission has funded several research projects related to the Mediterranean Diet, including Healthy Food for Life, Endomed, and Metsgenes. In particular, the ERC is supporting the Predimed-Plus research grant started in 2014 which is expected to yield findings by 2020. In addition, Horizon 2020 might provide future research funding opportunities addressing healthy dietary patterns under the Societal Challenge 2 on Food security and the Bioeconomy.
-  COM(2007) 279.
-  http://ec.europa.eu/health/nutrition_physical_activity/high_level_group/index_en.htm
-  http://ec.europa.eu/health/nutrition_physical_activity/platform/index_en.htm
-  http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:52014XG0708%2801%29&rid=14
-  FP7 People project Healthy Food for Life (230848) Supporting healthy lifestyles in the Mediterranean Area. http://cordis.europa.eu/project/rcn/90390_en.html
-  FP7 People project Endomed (237714) Characterising the effects of the Mediterranean diet on endothelial dysfunction. http://cordis.europa.eu/project/rcn/90566_en.html
-  FP7 People project Metsgenes (272581) Genes, Mediterranean dietary pattern and metabolic syndrome risk. http://cordis.europa.eu/project/rcn/100619_en.html
-  European Research Council.
-  FP7 ERC project Predimed-Plus (340918) Long-term effects of an energy-restricted Mediterranean diet on mortality and cardiovascular disease: the Predimed Plus Study. http://predimedplus.com/uk/index.html
-  Horizon 2020: http://ec.europa.eu/programmes/horizon2020/en