Statement on border police practices that violate human rights in the EU Member States of Croatia, Hungary and Slovenia
Question for written answer E-003085-18
to the Commission
Dietmar Köster (S&D)
1. The EU has at least signed up to human rights in the European Convention on Human Rights and the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights. However, police in Hungary, Croatia and Slovenia continue to flout these official agreements through the practices they use to ‘protect’ European borders. Using force to prevent asylum-seekers and refugees from seeking protection is also a breach of European and international law. The Hungarian Ministry of Interior has justified the reported violence as being for the ‘protection of EU borders’. What is the Commission’s position on this?
2. Asylum-seekers are being deported en masse without reviewing individual cases at the Slovenian, Hungarian and Croatian borders. This is a breach of the ban on mass deportations without individual case review in accordance with Article 78 of the TFEU and Article 19 of the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights. How is the EU responding to this?
3. The EU provides Hungary and Croatia with financial aid for border security. What public documents are there on this matter, and what is the amount of financial aid given?
-  www.borderviolence.eu/violence-reports/; https://www.amnesty.de/jahresbericht/2017/ungarn?destination=node%2F3035# flüchtlinge und migranten; http://welcome.cms.hr/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/REPORT-ON-THE-NEW-WAVE-OF-VIOLENCE-AGAINST-REFUGEES-ON-CROATIAN-BORDERS.pdf; https://www.hrw.org/news/2017/01/20/croatia-asylum-seekers-forced-back-serbia; http://www.msf.org/sites/msf.org/files/serbia-games-of-violence-3.10.17.pdf; https://www.oxfam.org/sites/www.oxfam.org/files/file_attachments/bp-dangerous-game-pushback-migrants-refugees-060417-en_0.pdf; http://www.unhcr.org/news/latest/2016/7/5788c85a4/unhcr-concernedhungary-pushing-asylum-seekers-serbia.html
-  http://www.balkaninsight.com/en/article/police-violence-against-refugees-on-balkan-route-12-08-2017