Answer given by Mr Andriukaitis on behalf of the European Commission
The Commission recognises the burden of Alzheimer’s disease.
Horizon 2020 is funding brain research with EUR 3.2 billion. The Commission also supports the efforts to coordinate Alzheimer’s research of the Joint Programming Initiative on Neurodegenerative Diseases, and the Innovative Medicines Initiative, a public-private partnership that established a platform where companies and academia collaborate.
In addition the Commission supports Member States and stakeholders in implementing best practices on mental health, including on Alzheimer’s, at national and regional levels. The EU Framework on mental health and well-being and the EU-Compass for action on mental health and well-being provide examples of good practices and policy approaches that Member States may use to complement their national initiatives.
The expert group on dementia, as well as other existing expert groups such as the cancer expert group, are now replaced by the Member States' Steering Group on Health Promotion, Disease Prevention and Management of Non-Communicable Diseases that is a high-level group providing guidance and selecting best practices for transfer between countries with the view to support Member States to reach the United Nations Development Goals as well as to pursue a horizontal approach to non-communicable diseases.
The Steering Group agreed that mental health will be a priority area for the selection of best practices in 2019. In May 2019, mental health best practices and implementable research results (including projects funded by the Health Programme and Horizon 2020) were presented to the Member States.
Countries will now be able to select from that group their preferred initiatives for implementation with possible EU funding.
-  The EU Framework Programme for Research and Innovation (2014-2020). https://ec.europa.eu/programmes/horizon2020/en
-  EUR 303 million have been allocated to Alzheimer’s disease under Horizon 2020 through the ‘Health, demographic change and wellbeing’ societal challenge, as well as the ‘Excellent science’ and ‘Industrial leadership’ pillars — http://ec.europa.eu/programmes/horizon2020/en/h2020-section/health-demographic-change-and-wellbeing
-  https://www.neurodegenerationresearch.eu/
-  https://www.imi.europa.eu/
-  https://www.imi.europa.eu/news-events/press-releases/innovative-medicines-initiative-alzheimers-disease-projects-launch-joint
-  https://ec.europa.eu/health/non_communicable_diseases/mental_health_en
-  https://ec.europa.eu/health/non_communicable_diseases/steeringgroup_promotionprevention_en