Answer given by Ms Gabriel on behalf of the European Commission
EU research and innovation (R&I) funding mentioned in the study on the status of New Genomic Techniques (NGT) summarises relevant projects under the 7th Framework Programme (FP7) and Horizon 2020, for EUR 3.2 billion, covering 1021 projects. Most of these dealt with technological development applicable to multiple sectors.
The analysis indicates that these two projects explicitly claimed to have included aspects of NGT environmental and or health risk assessment: MIAMi (on plant-derived therapeutics) and BIGWHEAT (on boosting wheat yields).
It could be, however, that environmental and health risk assessment have been addressed in some additional projects as a dedicated task or work package, but this level of detail is difficult to extract with the existing knowledge extraction tools.
Further information in relation to the FP7 and Horizon 2020 projects examined in the study and via which the metrics were derived, may be extracted via the Horizon Dashboard. Furthermore, project outcomes can be obtained via the CORDIS portal.
Horizon Europe does not include a dedicated budget line to fund research on the risks of NGTs to the environment and health.
However, Horizon Europe funding foresees one relevant topic on NGTs entitled ‘understanding benefits and risks’ — focus on bio-based innovation, with a budget of EUR 5 million, within the Food, Bioeconomy, Nature, Agriculture and Environment Cluster.
Moreover, the Health cluster Destination 5 ‘Unlocking the full potential of new tools, technologies and digital solutions for a healthy society’ supports research to manage benefits and risks of new technologies, paying due consideration to aspects of safety, effectiveness, and sustainability (environmental, fiscal, socioeconomic).
-  EC study on new genomic techniques (europa.eu)
-  Up to June 2020
-  https://cordis.europa.eu/project/id/814645 — funded under the Industrial leadership in enabling and industrial technologies — Biotechnology challenge
-  https://cordis.europa.eu/project/id/672990 — funded under the SME instrument
-  https://ec.europa.eu/info/funding-tenders/opportunities/portal/screen/opportunities/horizon-dashboard
-  https://cordis.europa.eu/projects/en
-  Under the Destination ‘Clean environment and zero pollution’
-  Search Funding & Tenders (europa.eu)
-  https://ec.europa.eu/info/funding-tenders/opportunities/portal/screen/opportunities/topic-search;callCode=HORIZON-HLTH-2021-TOOL-06;freeTextSearchKeyword=;matchWholeText=true;typeCodes=0,1,2;statusCodes=31094501,31094502,31094503;programmePeriod=null;programCcm2Id=null;programDivisionCode=null;focusAreaCode=null;destination=null;mission=null;geographicalZonesCode=null;programmeDivisionProspect=null;startDateLte=null;startDateGte=null;crossCuttingPriorityCode=null;cpvCode=null;performanceOfDelivery=null;sortQuery=sortStatus;orderBy=asc;onlyTenders=false;topicListKey=topicSearchTablePageState