Follow-up to the Commission Green Paper on Ageing
Question for written answer E-004836/2021
to the Commission
Milan Brglez (S&D), Jarosław Duda (PPE), Klemen Grošelj (Renew), Predrag Fred Matić (S&D), Sara Cerdas (S&D), Irena Joveva (Renew), Marc Angel (S&D), Atidzhe Alieva-Veli (Renew), Magdalena Adamowicz (PPE), Pernando Barrena Arza (The Left), Carles Puigdemont i Casamajó (NI), Clara Ponsatí Obiols (NI), Antoni Comín i Oliveres (NI), Elżbieta Kruk (ECR), Rovana Plumb (S&D), Olivier Chastel (Renew), Robert Hajšel (S&D), Alex Agius Saliba (S&D), Estrella Durá Ferrandis (S&D), Radka Maxová (S&D), Miriam Lexmann (PPE), Ivan Štefanec (PPE), Bronis Ropė (Verts/ALE), Manuel Pizarro (S&D), Maria da Graça Carvalho (PPE), Aurore Lalucq (S&D), Anna Júlia Donáth (Renew), Sylwia Spurek (Verts/ALE), Cláudia Monteiro de Aguiar (PPE), Monika Beňová (S&D)
In spring 2021, the Commission launched a consultation on ageing following the publication of its green paper. The increase in longevity opens up new opportunities for older persons if their fundamental rights are respected and society becomes more inclusive. However, the green paper did not address the issues of non-discrimination and equal rights for all ages. Both the Council and Parliament recently called for responses to be grounded in human rights principles and solidarity between generations.
- 1.Is the Commission working on a white paper to take the reflection further on the issues covered by the green paper?
- 2.Will the Commission consider developing an EU age equality strategy to ensure comprehensive policies on ageing and promoting the rights of all generations?
- 3.What further action does it envisage taking so that the Union of Equality delivers for people of all ages?
-  Council conclusions of 9 October 2020 on the human rights, participation and well-being of older persons in the era of digitalisation and 12 March 2021 on mainstreaming ageing in public policies.
-  European Parliament resolutions of 20 May 2021 on reversing demographic trends in EU regions using cohesion policy instruments and 7 July 2021 on an old continent growing older – possibilities and challenges related to ageing policy post-2020.