Answer given by Mr Wojciechowski on behalf of the European Commission
1. On 23 March, in its communication ‘Safeguarding food security and reinforcing the resilience of food systems’ the Commission underlined that there is no food security risk in the Union. At the same time, it announced a wide range of short and medium term measures to support global food security as well as EU farmers and consumers facing higher input and food costs. To address the current situation, the Commission also adopted temporary provisions to increase EU agricultural production potential by allowing Member States to use fallow land for food and feed production, in derogation from certain greening obligations, nonetheless maintaining the focus on the objectives of the European Green Deal.
2. Ensuring long-term food system resilience depends on the transition to sustainable food systems, as underlined and integrated in the European Green Deal, the Farm to Fork and the Biodiversity Strategies, and in the new Common Agricultural Policy (CAP). The Commission has reconfirmed its commitment to this course of action.
3. The aforementioned Communication includes the adoption of a support package of EUR 500 million, including by making use of the crisis reserve, to help the producers most affected by the Russian aggression against Ukraine. The Commission also adopted a Temporary Crisis Framework for State Aid, providing space for financial support to farmers, fertiliser producers, and the fisheries sector. In addition, to the measures outlined in point 1 above, the Commission also announced further specific measures in its communication, such as early advanced Direct Payments and private storage for pig meat.
-  https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/default/files/food-farming-fisheries/key_policies/documents/safeguarding-food-security-reinforcing-resilience-food-systems.pdf
-  https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32022D0484&from=EN
-  https://eur-lex.europa.eu/resource.html?uri=cellar:b828d165-1c22-11ea-8c1f-01aa75ed71a1.0002.02/DOC_1&format=PDF
-  https://eur-lex.europa.eu/resource.html?uri=cellar:ea0f9f73-9ab2-11ea-9d2d-01aa75ed71a1.0001.02/DOC_1&format=PDF
-  https://eur-lex.europa.eu/resource.html?uri=cellar:a3c806a6-9ab3-11ea-9d2d-01aa75ed71a1.0001.02/DOC_1&format=PDF
-  https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32021R2115&from=EN
-  https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:52022XC0324(10)&from=EN