Use of the ‘Predator’ spyware in Greece
Question for written answer E-001449/2022/rev.1
to the Commission
Dimitrios Papadimoulis (The Left)
A report from the day before yesterday has revealed that the ‘Predator’ spyware was used for at least 10 weeks to systematically monitor the journalist Thanasis Koukakis. Previously, on 12 August 2020, he had submitted a complaint to the Hellenic Authority for Communication Security and Privacy (ADΑΕ). It should be noted that ADAE’s reply to that allegation came nearly a year later. In the meantime, a new Greek government had been voted in which provided that, in cases of the existence or invocation of reasons of national security, citizens are no longer entitled to information concerning the breach of confidentiality concerning their communications. In December 2021, studies were published by the company Meta (formerly Facebook) and Citizen Lab from the University of Toronto identifying the use of the spyware in Greece too. When asked to comment on the issue, the government spokesperson appeared convinced that the monitoring had been carried out by a private person. The Committee to Protect Journalists and the International Press Institute are calling on the Greek Government to give explanations as to how the software was used to spy on the journalist’s mobile phone, and who used it.
In the light of the above:
- 1.Is the Commission aware of the use of the Predator spyware in Greece and/or in other Member States?
- 2.What steps will it take to prevent and/or stop the use of the spyware across the whole of the EU?
-  https://insidestory.gr/article/poios-parakoloythoyse-kinito-toy-dimosiografoy-thanasi-koykaki
-  Article 87 of Law 4790/2021
-  https://about.fb.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/Threat-Report-on-the-Surveillance-for-Hire-Industry.pdf
-  https://citizenlab.ca/2021/12/pegasus-vs-predator-dissidents-doubly-infected-iphone-reveals-cytrox-mercenary-spyware/
-  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzYKHvX1Fo0
-  https://cpj.org/2022/04/greek-journalist-thanasis-koukakis-targeted-by-predator-spyware/
-  https://ipi.media/greece-journalist-thanasis-koukakis-surveilled-for-10-weeks-with-powerful-new-spyware-tool/