Marketing of olives via oil mills in Spain and implementation of EU law
Question for written answer E-001243/2023
to the Commission
Mazaly Aguilar (ECR)
Mills belonging to cooperatives account for 66% of the olive oil produced in Spain, while 890 industrial mills account for the other 34%. A farmer supplying an industrial mill is free to set a price for his goods according to the evolution of market prices or other financial factors. Once a farmer sets a price for his olives, the industrial mill has a 30-day window in which to pay. However, Spanish authorities are penalising industrial mills for following this practice. This is because authorities calculate the 30-day period from the day when the olives are delivered to the mill, instead of from the day the farmer sets a price.
In view of the above:
- 1.Does the Commission take the view that this way of operating could be interpreted as an unfair commercial practice as set out by Directive (EU) 2019/633?
- 2.Does the Commission take the view that this approach, which is in keeping with the practices and customs of the sector, could potentially harm the economic interests of farmers and be liable to penalties under EU law?