Council Recommendation on vocational education and training (VET) for sustainable competitiveness, social fairness and resilience
Question for oral answer O-000069/2020
to the Commission
Lucia Ďuriš Nicholsonová, Maria Walsh, Marianne Vind, Ilana Cicurel, Elena Lizzi, Kim Van Sparrentak, Anna Zalewska
on behalf of the Committee on Employment and Social Affairs
Procedure : 2020/2767(RSP)
Document stages in plenary
Document selected :
Texts tabled :
Texts adopted :
In view of the Council Recommendation on VET, the Committee on Employment and Social Affairs has several questions:
- 1.The COVID-19 crisis has accelerated the need to improve digital training solutions and ensure equal access to digital skills, tools and technologies for learners, teachers and trainers. How does the Commission intend to support Member States in the promotion of VET digital upgrading and distance learning, ensuring accessibility and acquisition of the necessary skills for all? How could this be coordinated and monitored together with the Member States?
- 2.The proposal includes a number of qualitative objectives to be achieved by 2025. How will the Commission support Member States in achieving these aims, including through the Quality Framework for Apprenticeships and the Erasmus Programme? How will it monitor progress in achieving them and relay this information to both Parliament and Council? How does it intend to improve ways of tracking VET graduates?
- 3.There is an observed lack of coherence and discrepancy between the VET sector and the general education system, with VET often being considered a less-preferred option, despite the constant demand for more vocational professionals. What is the Commission doing to boost VET’s attractiveness and to ensure coherence and synergies between the two? What is the Commission planning at EU level to improve communication on VET? How can it help Member States to better coordinate actions at EU level?
- 4.How will the Commission support Member States to ensure that VET is of high quality and inclusive, and that it offers equal opportunities to all, in particular vulnerable groups, including from rural or remote areas? What actions will the Commission take to make quality and inclusive VET a right for all leaners, as enshrined in the European Pillar of Social Rights?
- 5.How will the Commission ensure high quality, diversified and tailor-made apprenticeships? Does it intend to review the European Framework for Quality and Effective Apprenticeships?
- 6.Given the voluntary nature of the Recommendation, how will the Commission encourage Member States to reform their VET systems, and monitor progress in achieving this?
Last updated: 3 November 2020