Error in the Commission's answer to my written question on glyphosate
Question for written answer P-010522/2010
to the Commission
Michail Tremopoulos (Verts/ALE)
In his answer to my Written Question E‑7874/2010 on health risks from glyphosate, the active ingredient in Roundup, the most widely sold weedkiller worldwide, Commissioner Dalli stated that the Commission was studying the issue and was open to re-examining its approval (which was originally scheduled for the end of June 2012 in accordance with Directive 91/414/EEC, as revised by Directive 2001/99/EC).
Specifically, on 12.11.2010 it stated: ‘In any case, a programme for re-examination of active substances included in Annex I of Directive 91/414 as amended among others by Directive 2001/99, for which the approval period is near to expire, is currently under discussion and this programme includes glyphosate.’
We were surprised to learn from the Pesticides Action Network and GMWatch that the EU had, just two days earlier, on 10.11.2010, published Directive 2010/77/EE amending Council Directive 91/414/EEC as regards the expiry dates for inclusion in Annex I of certain active substances. It states that the expiry date for registration of glyphosate is deferred until 31 December 2015 (number 25 Annex I).
In view of the above, will the Commission say:
- 1.Which of these two actually applies? If the deferral until 2015 is valid, what is the reason for the different answer given on 12.11.2010, just two days after the publication of the directive? Is this due to negligence or a time-lag or is it intentional?
- 2.Will it provide a clear explanation of the criteria by which it was judged appropriate to postpone withdrawal of the hazardous substance glyphosate until 2015?
- 3.Will it immediately undertake a new risk analysis for glyphosate based on the latest scientific data, as I mentioned in my previous question?
-  http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getAllAnswers.do?reference=E‑2010-7874&language=EN
-  OJ L 230, 19.8.1991, p. 1.
-  O L 304, p. 14, 21.11.2001.
-  http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2010:293:0048:0057:EN:PDF
-  OJ L 293, p. 48, 11.11.2010, p. 1.
-  E‑7874/2010.
OJ C 279 E, 23/09/2011