2023: 15th Session
15th plenary session of the EuroLat Assembly in Madrid (Spain) from 24 - 27 July 2023
The Euro-Latin American Parliamentary Assembly (EuroLat) held its fifteenth meeting in Madrid from 24 to 27 July, one week after the 17-18 July summit meeting of the leaders of the EU and the Community of Latin American and Caribbean States (CELAC) in Brussels. The EuroLat Assembly took place at the seat of the Senate of Spain.
On 24 July, H.M. King Felipe VI of Spain received the Members at the Palace of El Pardo.
Whereas the committees and some working group and fora met on the following day, with the opening session on 26 July, the Assembly was formally inaugurated by speeches given by the President of the Senate, Ander Gil, the President of the Congress of Deputies, Meritxell Batet, the Co-Chairs of EuroLat, MEP Javi López (S&D, ES) and Colombian congressman Óscar Darío Pérez as well as the Acting Spanish Minister for Foreign Affairs, José Manuel Albares Bueno.
The EuroLat plenary session took place on 27 July, where reports and recommendations adopted in advance by the various committees and working groups were voted on. Some of the topics included the fight against hate speech, the regulation of digital platforms, the challenges posed by COVID-19 in education and health, access to water, the fight against organised crime as well as on trade negotiations.
The Assembly closed with a formal session on that same day.
The following resolutions were adopted:
- Combating hate speech in the European Union and Latin America and the Caribbean
- International cooperation and multilateralism face to COVID 19
- Digital platforms in the modern economy
- The scrutiny of trade negotiations and the evaluation and monitoring of the agreements by parliamentarians
- Challenges for the education sector in the face of COVID-19 and the post-pandemic: guaranteeing quality education for all
- Bi-regional cooperation for the strengthening of health systems, for the access and distribution of vaccines and for scientific research to face pandemics
- Challenges to ensure the human right to water
- The fight against organized crime in the EU and Latin America (recommendation)