Webinar: Teaching about the EU: European Studies in Ireland, 30 November 2021
The European Parliament Office in Ireland and the European Commission Representation are delighted to invite you to a special online event on ‘Teaching about the EU: European Studies in Ireland’, on 30 November 2021 from 11:00am-12:15pm. Join Minister Thomas Byrne, Sean Kelly MEP and a stellar panel of experts and practitioners to debate the need for a stronger focus on teaching about the EU and languages from primary to third level education in Ireland. Registration required.
The event will:
- discuss the state of play of European Studies and teaching about the EU in Ireland, and the important role it plays for civil education, helping young people play a full role as active citizens;
- consider what could be done to expand the offer of European Studies at all levels in Ireland;
- look at the impact of the European Parliament Ambassador School (EPAS) and the Blue Star programmes and other relevant initiatives;
- Sketch the terrain and harvest ideas and questions to feed into an international symposium on European Studies being organised by the University of Limerick in May 2022.
- Thomas Byrne - Minister for European Affairs
- Sean Kelly - MEP for Ireland South
- Barbara Nolan - Head of the European Commission Representation in Ireland
- Dr Joachim Fischer - Jean Monnet Chair in European Cultural Studies and Director of the Centre for European Studies at UL
- Catherine Cooke-Harkin - EPAS Senior Ambassador & Sarah McMenamin - EPAS Junior Ambassador, St Columba's College, Stranorlar, Co. Donegal
Moderator: Brian Mooney - Irish Times education columnist and career guidance counsellor.
Participants can comment and ask questions via a LIVE chat. We kindly ask you to confirm your participation by registering for the webinar via this link